Russia Visas and Migration Cards


Many tourists wishing to visit Yaroslavl will require a Russian Visa. Here is a list of some of the countries where citizens of that country will require a Visa to enter Russia.

If in doubt, contact the Russian Embassy or Visa Centre in your country to check if you need one.

You will require an official invitation letter to be able to apply for a Russian Visa. If you have an official invitation letter, you can apply in person for your Visa at the Russian Embassy.

However, obtaining an official invitation letter is not always that easy - and in Yaroslavl, the only hotel we know of at present that can currently send you one is the Yubileynaya Hotel.

If you just require a tourist or business Visa, you may find it easier to use an approved agency who are able to issue an invitation letter - and also obtain the Visa on your behalf (for a fee). There are many such agencies that can be found by searching the Internet. For example Real Russia is a UK agency based in London that also provides a lot of useful advice on their website about visiting Russia - to apply for a Russian visa, click the link below:

If you require a different type of Visa (e.g. student Visa) - you will need an official invitation from an appropriate body in Russia. For example, if you want to study Russian language in Yaroslavl, The Yaroslavl Russian Language Centre can arrange this for you.

NOTE: The requirement for a Visa is sometimes lifted for a special event (e.g. The 2018 FIFA World Cup). Please check the Russian Embassy or Visa Centre in your country for details.


You must register your stay within seven working days of arrival in Russia with the local branch of the Federal Migration Service. Most major hotels will do this automatically. If you are staying in private accommodation the owner of the property must do this for you. You need not register a visa if your visit is for less than seven days.

Passport Validity

If your passport has less than six months to run, you may be refused entry to Russia. You should get a replacement passport before travelling.

Migration Cards

All foreign nationals entering Russia must sign a migration card, which is produced electronically at the passport control in the major airports. Provincial airports may still require you to complete the migration card manually. The card is in two identical parts. One part will be retained by the Immigration Officer on arrival. This is a very important piece of paper - DO NOT LOSE IT. You should keep the other part with your passport; you will need it when you depart Russia and if you are stopped by the police for an ID check during your stay. There are many hotels/hostels that will not check in guests if they do not have the stamped white immigration card with them. You must complete a new migration card each time you enter Russia, even if you have a multiple entry visa. If you lose the second part of the card, or it has not been registered within 7 working days, you will be fined, and your departure from the country could be delayed.